Multilayer microstructure of idiopathic epiretinal macular membranes
Post author correction
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
Article Subject: Vitreo SURG
AuthorsClaudio Azzolini, Terenzio Congiu, Simone Donati, Alberto Passi, Petra Basso, Eliana Piantanida, Cesare Mariotti, Francesco Testa, Simona M. Caprani, Jennifer Cattaneo, Riccardo Vinciguerra
To identify the ultramicroscopic structure of idiopathic epiretinal macular membranes (iEMMs) by scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
We examined 28 iEMMs surgically removed from 28 eyes of 28 patients. All specimens, previously observed at stereomicroscope, were treated with an osmium maceration technique. Fine resolution of iEMMs’ 3D architecture and their interaction with the retina were studied using a Philips SEM-FEG XL-30 microscope.
The specimens appeared as laminar connective structures partially or completely adherent to the inner limiting membrane (ILM). We identified 4 types of structures: (
Layers of various materials follow one another in iEMMs. Cells are rarely found. The interface ILM-iEMM tissue shows particular small bridges of connection. The dynamic modeling of bended layers begins in soft tissue.
- • Accepted on 06/04/2017
- • Available online on 19/05/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Azzolini, Claudio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Congiu, Terenzio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Donati, Simone [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Passi, Alberto [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Basso, Petra [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Piantanida, Eliana [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Mariotti, Cesare [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Testa, Francesco [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Caprani, Simona M. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Cattaneo, Jennifer [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Vinciguerra, Riccardo [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
Department of Medicine and Surgery, University of Insubria, Varese - Italy
Department of Ophthalmology, Polytechnic University of Ancona, Ancona - Italy
Eye Clinic, Multidisciplinary Department of Medical, Surgical and Dental Sciences, Second University of Naples, Naples - Italy