To evaluate the effect of corneal crosslinking (CXL) with ultraviolet A (UVA) irradiation on pupil response to tropicamide 0.5% instillation.
This prospective interventional study enrolled 17 patients (19 eyes) with progressive keratoconus who underwent CXL with UVA irradiation. Central corneal thickness (CCT) was evaluated with the use of anterior segment optical coherence tomography (Visante OCT 3.0). Pupil diameter was measured with the use of Colvard infrared pupillometer before the instillation of tropicamide 0.5% and after the instillation of tropicamide every 5 minutes for total duration of 30 minutes. Corneal epithelial integrity was examined with the use of fluorescein dye staining. Measurements were performed 1 day preoperatively and 1 month postoperatively, with emphasis on simulating the same light conditions regarding the pupil measurements.
No intraoperative or postoperative complications were observed in any of the patients. Mean CCT decreased significantly (p<0.001) 1 month postoperatively. Mean postoperative pupil size did not change significantly at any time point compared to the mean preoperative measurements.
The CXL procedure seems not to impair effectiveness of topical drugs, using pupil size measurements after tropicamide 0.5% instillation.
Eur J Ophthalmol 2016; 26(5): 394 - 397
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsGeorge D. Kymionis, Theodore A. Paraskevopoulos, Dimitrios A. Liakopoulos, Michael A. Grentzelos, Anna I. Kouroupaki, Konstantinos I. Tsoulnaras, Sophia I. Panagopoulou, Cosimo Mazzotta, Efstathios T. Detorakis
- • Accepted on 11/01/2016
- • Available online on 28/01/2016
- • Published in print on 04/08/2016
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Kymionis, George D. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Paraskevopoulos, Theodore A. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Liakopoulos, Dimitrios A. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Grentzelos, Michael A. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Kouroupaki, Anna I. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Tsoulnaras, Konstantinos I. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Panagopoulou, Sophia I. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Mazzotta, Cosimo [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 2
- Detorakis, Efstathios T. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
Vardinoyiannion Eye Institute of Crete (VEIC), Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete - Greece
Department of Medical, Surgical and Neurosciences, Siena University Hospital, Siena - Italy