Handheld laser pointer thermal injury affects primarily the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). However, so far no study has reported on the possible effects of laser pointers in the deeper layers, beneath the RPE. Here, we describe the spectral-domain optical coherence tomography angiography findings in the choriocapillaris of a patient with laser maculopathy.
A 13-year-old boy presented to our department with decreased vision in the left eye 12 hours after having stared at the beam of a laser pointer.
Structural optical coherence tomography (OCT) showed 2 focal hyperreflective columns at the fovea extending from the RPE, involving all outer retinal layers, and terminating at the outer plexiform layer. The patient also underwent OCT angiography (OCT-A), which in the choriocapillary segmentation revealed 2 hypointense lesions in correspondence of the focal hyperreflectivities detected on structural OCT. We hypothesize that the OCT-A findings could represent a rarefaction of the choriocapillaris. However, the choriocapillary OCT-A findings could also represent artifacts due to the overlaying hyperreflective lesions.
It is known that the RPE is primarily damaged by the laser injury. Our findings suggest that the thermal injury could involve also the choriocapillaris, and thus not limited to the RPE. Multimodal imaging in laser maculopathy including OCT-A may lead to a better comprehension of the pathogenesis of laser retinal damages.
Eur J Ophthalmol 2017; 27(1): e13 - e15
Article Type: CASE REPORT
AuthorsLivia Tomasso, Lucia Benatti, Carlo La Spina, Rosangela Lattanzio, Giovanni Baldin, Adriano Carnevali, Luigi A. De Vitis, Lea Querques, Francesco Bandello, Giuseppe Querques
- • Accepted on 01/07/2016
- • Available online on 28/11/2016
- • Published online on 19/01/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Tomasso, Livia [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Benatti, Lucia [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- La Spina, Carlo [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Lattanzio, Rosangela [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Baldin, Giovanni [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Carnevali, Adriano [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- De Vitis, Luigi A. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Querques, Lea [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Bandello, Francesco [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Querques, Giuseppe [PubMed] [Google Scholar] , * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Ophthalmology, IRCCS Ospedale San Raffaele, University Vita-Salute, Milan - Italy