To describe a simple and novel technique of obtaining an extraocular muscle (EOM) biopsy.
Our sutureless method involves obtaining a full-thickness 3-mm EOM specimen using a disposable punch biopsy.
The procedure was performed successfully, with no worsening of eye movement, muscle weakness, or cosmetic defects postoperatively. The acquired full-thickness specimen was sufficient for analysis.
This technique to obtain an EOM biopsy allows a straightforward sutureless method, providing an adequate sample for tissue scrutiny.
Eur J Ophthalmol 2017; 27(5): 614 - 616
Article Type: SURGICAL TECHNIQUE
AuthorsTom Kornhauser, Ahed Imtirat, Jaime Levy, Erez Tsumi
- • Accepted on 09/01/2017
- • Available online on 25/01/2017
- • Published in print on 30/08/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Kornhauser, Tom [PubMed] [Google Scholar] , * Corresponding Author (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Imtirat, Ahed [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Levy, Jaime [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Tsumi, Erez [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Department of Ophthalmology, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva - Israel