To evaluate the morphology of optic nerve head by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) in patients with unilateral central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO).
In 39 consecutive patients with unilateral CRVO and 39 healthy controls, morphologic parameters of optic nerve head were assessed in both eyes by Spectralis SD-OCT using a custom radial B-scan pattern. The length of Bruch membrane opening (BMO) was measured in OCT scans, and optic disc diameters (DD) were assessed in infrared fundus photographs. Axial length was determined by IOLMaster.
The BMO length was measured in all eyes with CRVO, while DD was not assessed in 9 eyes (27.3%) that had undefined disc margins. Compared to healthy controls (mean BMO length 1,511 ± 79 μm, mean disc diameter 1,521 ± 77 μm), in eyes with CRVO with defined disc margins (n = 28 [71.8%]), no significant difference was found in BMO length and DD (1,473 ± 118 μm and 1,516 ± 104 μm, respectively). Eyes with CRVO with undefined disc margins had lower BMO length (1,289 ± 61 μm [-14.7%], p = 0.001); also, in fellow eyes, these patients had lower BMO length and DD. In all groups, no significant difference was seen between BMO and DD. A correlation was found between axial length and BMO length and disc diameter (both p<0.001)
Most of the eyes with CRVO had normal optic disc diameter, but about 25% of patients with CRVO have reduced optic disc dimensions.
Eur J Ophthalmol 2017; 27(4): 485 - 490
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsAntonio Longo, Teresio Avitabile, Maurizio G. Uva, Vincenza Bonfiglio, Andrea Russo, Mario D. Toro, Caterina Gagliano, Matteo Fallico, Michele Reibaldi
- • Accepted on 29/01/2017
- • Available online on 28/02/2017
- • Published in print on 26/06/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Longo, Antonio [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Avitabile, Teresio [PubMed] [Google Scholar] , * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Uva, Maurizio G. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Bonfiglio, Vincenza [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Russo, Andrea [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Toro, Mario D. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Gagliano, Caterina [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Fallico, Matteo [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Reibaldi, Michele [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Eye Clinic, University of Catania, Catania - Italy